Friday, September 04, 2009

Straggling Vacation Snapshots and Socks That Weren't Meant To Be

Yes, more photos. When we went to Canada I took my newer digital camera, and I let Willow take my old Nikon Coolpix to take pictures of her own. About halfway into our vacation the battery on my camera petered out (and it is one of those weird flat batteries that has to be charged in its own special charger which I neglected to bring with me against my husband's better judgement - there, Andrew - happy?) so I commandeered Willow's camera.

A new totem pole in the Vancouver Airport. I'm not sure what I think about this one - I believe it is part of the sprucing up of the airport for the Winter Olympics in a few short months. It's rather stylized - I wasn't sure what was bothering me about it at first, but then it hit me:

DSCN0315

Isn't that design in the middle rather celtic? It isn't really what I perceive to be a First Nations design at all. It's nice, but unexpected.

Here's Willow at the bottom of the same totem pole, looking like she is about to drop:

DSCN0319

And this is what happens when two little girls get tired of Mama/Auntie and Gramma snapping pictures of them when they look so cute in their matching tops. The younger gets weepy and the older gets pouty:

DSCN0305

And these are socks that are not meant to be. This is the Fleece Artist yarn I bought on the Island, and it has absolutely no give whatsoever. At first I thought I would give them to my sister Teri since they obviously weren't going to fit me. After a while I doubted even Teri would get these on so I had Willow try them on, and they were a snug fit on her. So much for getting gauge for a Ladies' medium, huh?

P9040227

The yarn is very pretty, but I am going to have to rip out the sock and come up with something more elastic for it. Any ideas?

5 comments:

kemtee said...

Last FA I knit was a lacy Cookie A pattern. The openness of the lace made the socks plenty elastic.

I don't know if that helps or not.

I don't know diddly/squat about totem poles, but that still doesn't look quite how I'd expect it to. Was it commissioned from a native artist?

freshisle said...

A lovely totem pole, but I agree, not a First Nations design like we see here.
No ideas for the socks - lovely colour, though.

Shan said...

I don't approve of the new totem pole, either. It's like someone on a committee said "The image needs updating. You know, everyone's seen totems...but they haven't seen totems like THIS!"

Bezzie said...

Ha ha! I love the hilarious Willow and Cuz picture---hee hee!

Yeaaaah, not sure about that totem pole. Seems kinda bastardized. Betcha it was made in China.

Beverly said...

I have never used Fleece Artist, so I don't know if this will be helpful, but what if you just increased your needle size? That might loosen things up a bit. Maybe?