Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spaghetti Squash and Chicken With Peanut Sauce

P2242655

Looks yummy, doesn't it?

 I love peanut sauce - I don't know how I didn't even know about it until a few years ago. One of my favorite meals is dish of whole wheat fettucine, shredded chicken, scallions, carrots, and peanut sauce... but the pasta adds in 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus all on its lonesome, and I didn't want to spend that amount of points in addition to everything else (I have BIG comfort food plans for dinner) - so I decided to experiment with spaghetti squash.

 Spaghetti Squash And Chicken With Peanut Sauce

1 serving

 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
3oz shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2c steamed shredded carrots
2 scallions, sliced into thin rings (on the diagonal, including both white and green parts)
2 TBSP 365 Organic Peanut Sauce

 Steps:

 1. Cook the spaghetti squash any way you prefer. I had a medium-large one, and I sawed it in half, scooped out the seeds, and stabbed it a few times through the shell to create air vents. Place it cut side down on a large plate, and pour a few tablespoons of water on plate, and microwave for 10 minutes. Once finished, turn the squash over and microwave for 6 more minutes. Let cool for a few minutes, then scrape out the flesh. You will have enough for a few meals.

 2. Steam your shredded carrots. When I cook this dish with pasta, I just throw the carrots in with the pasta for the last few minutes - so I had to find a different way to cook the carrots. You just want them softened a bit, not cooked all the way through. You will notice that mine look like ribbons - that is because I didn't actually have shredded carrots! I used my peeler to create long ribbons of a medium carrot and used that instead.

 3. Mix all ingredients together, and eat!

 If you look at these ingredients separately, they are only 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus (0 for squash, carrots, and scallions, 3 for the chicken, and 1 for the sauce) - but when I plugged it into the Recipe Builder, it came to 6 Points Plus, so I will count it as that. I think that this particular peanut sauce really makes the dish - every other sauce I have tried has had more calories and fat - and this sauce has a great kick to it.  This made quite a big meal - for reference, that green bowl is deep and 8" across.

I just wish now that I had made a double serving so I would have some for my lunch tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Mmmmmm...peanut sauce. My fave.