Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Finished Objects: Sebago Cove 1.0 and 2.0

Wow, am I ever remiss here. I was all ready to post my Finished Object post for the tunic sweater I finished last night for Piper when I realized I hadn't created a post for my original version of the same sweater! So here we go -

 Sebago Cove 1.0

  IMG_0346

and Sebago Cove 2.0

 Piper in Sebago Cove 2.0

Same pattern, but in different yarns! Why did I knit 2 sweaters in the same pattern in short order? When my friend Alicia selected me to be on of the testers for her Sebago Cove pattern, I ordered the yarn she designed it with, and the yarn had to come all the way from Australia from the lovely Augustbird. It took about two weeks, but in the meantime, I was chomping at the bit to get started on the sweater. I dug around in my stash, and found some red merino/acrylic blend called Les Laines du Petit Poucet Colorado that I achieved gauge with, and I ran with it.

  IMG_0352

 As you can see, there are some rainbow colors woven through the yarn, and I didn't bother with the color blocking as the pattern describes, but I think it made a pretty cute tunic sweater. Piper liked it so much, she stole it out of my knitting bag so she could play dress up with it even before I had a chance to weave in all the ends - and if that isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!

 When my yarn from Augustbird arrived, I was nigh-finished another test knit for another talented friend, Melissa... which I haven't posted here yet, either. How did I get so far behind? Anyway, I wanted to finish my Sturgeon test knit before I started a new sweater. I had never knit anything with Augustbird yarns before, and I was in for an amazing treat. The colors are so saturated in the yarn, and it felt so incredibly nice to knit with. The Augustbird Hearty DK definitely shows the stitch definition much better than the Les Laines du Petit Poucet Colorado - I love the eyelets at the raglan shoulders, and the YO increases along the sides of the tunic:

  IMG_0472

The Particulars: 

Pattern: Sebago Cove by Alicia Plummer. You can purchase the pattern at this link on Ravelry - and please do!

Needles: Size 6 and 8 16" circulars and size 7 dpns (the pattern called for size 6 dpns, but I couldn't find mine). I made the 4T size. If you were to make a larger size, you would need longer circulars.

Yarn: Sebago Cove 1.0 was in Les Laines du Petit Poucet Colorado and Sebago Cove 2.0 was in Augustbird Hearty DK

Would I Knit This Pattern Again? Oh yes, in fact - I already have yarn to make Piper another one. I have a sneaky feeling that Piper will be wearing these all fall and winter long this year!

  IMG_0449

 Seriously - doesn't Piper look gorgeous in purple?

No comments: