Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shrimp on the Barbie

Shrimp on the barbie

I think this has become my new favourite summer food... It's so simple and quick! The recipe I use was adapted from one I found on Allrecipes.com.

1.5 pounds raw shrimp
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp kosher salt
paprika (to taste)
white pepper (to taste)
bamboo skewers

Crush garlic and salt together, add in olive oil and spices to make a greasy paste (trust me, it is a lot more appetizing than it looks). Rinse shrimp and put in gallon ziploc bag. Scrape in paste, and moosh all over shrimp, seal bag and toss in refrigerator for a few hours. Start soaking the bamboo skewers at least 30 minutes before you plan to grill or they will catch on fire.

Take the shrimp out of the refrigerator and start to thread onto the skewers. Hold the shrimp in a backward 'C' shape and pierce it through the broadest part and the tail. My skewers are about 7" long and I can get 5 on each. Once the grill is hot, it will only take about 3 minutes on each side to cook them. I love how shrimp have a built-in doneness indicator - when they are raw they are weirdly translucent grey - when done, opaque and pinky-white. Enjoy!

I took some pictures of the garden while we were waiting for the grill to heat up. Here is my Sweet Basil:

Sweet basil

That big leaf in the front is about the size of my palm. Here is the Lime Basil:

Lime basil

I foresee pesto on our dinner menu this week. Another one of my favourite summer meals. I make a really quick and simplified pesto - 4 cups basil leaves, 1/2 cup zesty fat free Kraft Italian dressing, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. I put it in a container and liquefy it with my hand blender. You could probably add other stuff to this to zing it up, but I have to deal with a 6-year-old's palate.

Cherry tomatoes planted in the ground:

Cherry tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes growing in the basket:

Tomato basket

The plant still isn't healthily green, but it is producing lots of fruit.

My eggplant has lots of flowers on it:

Eggplant

As does my acorn squash:

Acorn Squash

And look what I found hanging out in my cucumber plant:

Cucumber socks

I told you there was knitting going on. I finished this sock except for grafting the toe while catching a custom True Blood marathon on Demand (watching all the episodes I wanted to see again). These socks are definitely for me - no more sweet-talking me into giving them to someone else!

Gotta go - the new season of True Blood starts in 4 minutes!

4 comments:

Zonda said...

Drooling over your Shrimp! Lovely green garden! Hey, you grow socks now ;)

tara said...

I want a sock plant. And your basil. I cant gown basil for some reason.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Dinner looks delish!! And the garden- awesome!! Look at it all!

Bezzie said...

I am a little freaked out by that ginormous basil!!!

The plants here have been doing just fine in the gloom. I prefer cold weather stuff ;-_