Sunday, May 17, 2015

Must Think Happy Thoughts

I was woken up this morning by Piper at 5am. She's still at the point where weekends mean nothing to her. Sleeping in means nothing to her. I was up late last night reading, as usual, so I was very sleep-deprived - but because Andrew had the girls to himself for a few days while I was at a conference, I let him sleep in for the second day in a row. I woke up with Piper, turned on some cartoons, and went to make myself some coffee. When I went to get something out of the upright freezer, the first thing I noticed was that the door opened way too easily.

 It hadn't been shut last night.

 Everything in the door was completely thawed and dripping everywhere - and everything else was quickly getting there. I knew we had to defrost the damn thing soon, but I wasn't planning to do it at 5am on a Sunday morning. So, I shut the door and went back to the kitchen and drank my coffee. Then proceeded to empty everything out of the freezer that wasn't rock solid frozen still. Roasts, spaghetti sauces, curry, salmon, frozen fruit, tubs of ice cream, and a three pound bag of raw shrimp! That was just the tip of the (ha!) iceburg. The only things I was able to salvage were some frozen vegetables, some cookie dough (that I baked since it thawed), some cinnamon rolls (which we baked for breakfast, since they were thawed), and some meat that was cooked up today since it was only slightly defrosted in the debacle. Andrew, who had since woken up, came down and took over with the complete defrosting and cleaning once I had emptied the freezer.

 Must think happy thoughts! I have lots of cookies! Dinner is planned for tomorrow! My freezer is immaculately clean and empty! One day Piper will learn to sleep in!
  IMG_2205

1 comment:

mom said...

such a happy girl....to have woken mommy up and have her all to herself....
love & hugs