Friday, November 18, 2005

Two and a Half Hour Hat


Forgive the odd photo - there is only so much smiling you can get a toddler to do at 5:30 in the morning... hmm... I just realized that my subversive reading material (Maureen Dowd's 'Are Men Really Necessary: When the Sexes Collide') is in plain view in the background...

Anywho... Here is Willow's 2.5 hour hat. For the life of me I can't find any of the cute hats I made for Willow last year - including the amazing stripey one that my sister Teri coveted. And, with the weather dropping to a chilly *high* of 42'F (about 5'C) today, I knew I had to get one churned out toute de suite. The yarn is Caron's Simply Soft Chunky in sort of an apple green. She wanted a purple hat, but the alpaca one I started for her will be more baby-sized when done, so she had to deal with what Mama pulled out of her stash. She likes the hat - has been wearing it inside the house for the last 45 minutes. I didn't use a particular pattern - but here are my specifics:

Size 10.5 needles - 16 inch
Cast on 64 stitches, join, and work in 1X1 rib for about 4.5 inches.
Knit for about 3-4 rounds.
Start decreasing as Knit 6, Knit 2 together, next round plain.
Every other round, Knit one less (i.e. Knit 5, Knit 2 together then Knit 4, Knit 2 together).
Switch to DPNs when it gets too tight for you.
Bind off when you have 4 stitches left and weave in the ends.

Hat fits a three year old :)

No comments: