Sunday, December 30, 2012

Vacation Recap (Um, summer vacation, that is...)

I'm really bad about posting our vacation pictures - part of the problem is that I end up taking 200+ photos, and by the time I wade through them all, edit as needed, come to some sort of game plan... it is four months later. This past August, we traveled to Hornby Island, a small island off the coast of a bigger small island (Denman Island), off the mid-east coast of Vancouver Island. I had never been to Hornby Island before, and we had a wonderful time, despite the fact that Piper came down with strep throat and a scarlet rash. Rather than write an extended travelog, I'm just going to post pictures. Enjoy!

DSCN0037

Piper walking back from Tribune Bay.

DSCN0040

Driftwood sculpture on the beach on Tribune Bay.

DSCN0042

Close up of one of the driftwood logs - I think it looks like a camel.

DSCN0048

My Mom and Dad walking down the rock formations.

DSCN0051

The rock formations - it looks like a moonscape.

DSCN0057

Willow and Keeva, my aunt's dog.

DSCN0060

Yes, I even managed to find yarn on a tiny island!

DSCN0062

Whaling Station Beach - yes, it did get more crowded than this in the afternoon, but it still would have looked empty compared to the Delaware beaches.

DSCN0076

Piper and my Mom walking down to the little beach near our cabin to go rock-hunting.

DSCN0079

Yeah, ignore the fact that her eyes were closed - I thought it was such a good picture at the time. Even though it was mid-August and 80'F +, there is still snow on the peaks behind her on Vancouver Island.

DSCN0086

My Mom, Piper, and Willow wading in the water at Tribune Bay. The water was shallow and clear for so far out.

DSCN0088

The view from Tribune Bay, facing Vancouver Island's hills.

DSCN0100

The only bit of Native sculpture I saw on the Island. I am not sure Hornby had a big Native presence - it doesn't have it's own natural water source - hence the huge painted water tanks around the island:

DSCN0061 DSCN0047

DSCN0115

Andrew, me, Willow, Mom, Piper, Dad, and my Gram It was a gorgeous island, and the night skies were breath-taking. I had never seen stars horizon to horizon before. This was the first vacation I had had in a long time (baby illness notwithstanding!) that felt like an actual vacation. I want more vacations and experiences like this.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Looks like a great time! I've never been to Hornby before!