Saturday, June 17, 2006

Blue Books

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter!

I was trying to think of a novel (ha ha!) way to play with the blue theme for Project Spectrum this month, and came up with books I have read that have the word blue in their title. This is easy to do - go to your favourite online book merchant, type "blue" in the search engine, and come up with 10 (if you can) books you have read with the word blue in the title:

Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell

This was an assigned book when I was in elementary school - maybe grade six or seven. I can't say I could critique it now, but I do know I have read it.

One Fish Two Fish Three Fish Blue Fish - Dr. Suess

I have a soon-to-be four year old... this particular Dr. Suess book must have been read aloud in our house a gazillion times.

Blue Dahlia - Nora Roberts

I believe this was the second in a trilogy (Into the Garden) about a ghost on a former southern plantation. Not my favourite of Roberts' trilogies (that would be the Three Sisters Island trilogy) but still a good read. Actually, I believe I listened to all three books in this series on CD. It still counts!

Blue Moon - Laurell K. Hamilton

Sex, werewolves, backstabbing action... and a Richard that went from dreamy to scary...

Blue Hat, Green Hat - Sandra Boynton

Again - kid. This book is simple enough with the prose and pictures that Willow can read it without actually reading the words.

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - Tom Robbins

I read this in university after seeing the movie with Uma Thurman in it. I then went ahead and read a half dozen other books by Tom Robbins. He's odd.

Chesapeake Blue - Nora Roberts

Another book in a trilogy about brothers in Maryland. I'm afraid it's not sticking out beyond that.

Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson

Wonderful series! This is part of a very involved trilogy about the colonization of Mars - covering everything from politics, mysticism, terraforming... I really think everyone should read this series because it isn't all that far off - and even though it technically is science fiction, it is very realistic - not fantastic.

Midnight Blue - Nancy A. Collins

This is a three-in-one trilogy (what is it with me and trilogies?!?!) about Sonja Blue, a Vampire Vampire Hunter (yeah, the word vampire is there twice on purpose). Not to everyone's taste - the book is exceptionally violent and graphic - but a great story nonetheless.

Counting With Blue - Lauryn Silverhardt

Willow received this book as a baby and it has a cute rhyme while counting up to five. It is another book she has pretty much memorized.

Your turn - what blue books have you read?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is a tough one... Island of the Blue Dolphins, Black and Blue (Anna Quindlen), the Bluest Eye (Toni Morrison), and countless "Blue's Clues" books. Does the Kelley Blue Book (car price guide) count?