Sunday, February 18, 2007

See What Happens When You Try...

...to take pictures of finished objects by yourself after midnight?

Here you are, Dad - your birthday hat:



Dad's hat is knit from Malabrigo in Rojo Vivo and I still have about a third of a skein leftover (and the leftover goes into my Dulaan hat pile stash). Dad requested this wool without even knowing what it was - I had brought bags of leftovers with me up to Canada for our Christmas vacation last year and when Dad said he wanted his hat knit "from that really soft stuff," I knew exactly which one he meant. I *love* knitting with Malabrigo - it's so smooth and not tight and the colours are beautiful.

Now, as the title points out, there are some inherent problems with taking pictures of yourself after midnight... as you can see from the above picture, I look like death warmed over (appropriate since I was having my own personal CSI catch-up marathon while finishing the hat). Also, since I have to prop the camera up to take the picture on a timer, there is no one to tell you if you are actually in the viewfinder or not:



Actually, I like that picture above - it did catch how the colour spirals around just like I was attempting to do. After that attempt, I appropriated one of Willow's balls and put the hat on it to try and catch the colour swirl:



I'm in the picture in this next one, but it turned out rather dark:



And the most embarrassing of all, the "I accidentally clicked the picture button without setting up the timer first" picture that gives you an un-needed close up of my lately ungroomed eyebrows...


Ah well. You can't win them all. Dad, the hat will be in the mail this week. Happy Much Belated Birthday!

5 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh pretty! I love how the decreases worked out. Lovely.

That last pic cracks me up. It reminds me of the Blair Witch Project.

How's Willow doing?

Zonda said...

Very pretty! Nice and Red!!

I have the same picture taking problems as by the time I finish everyone's in bed! :)

This Weary Traveler said...

Love the hat. Malabrigo is so wonderful to knit with!

PURLPOWER said...

Can you tell me what pattern you used for the hat? I have some Malabrigo that I would like to knit into a hat too and this would be perfecto.

Jo said...

Helen - I didn't use a set pattern. I used six 6 circulars, cast on 104 stitches, knit 2X2 in rib for about 3 - 4 inches. Then I switched to stockinette and increased one stitch every 8 stitches (adding 13 total). I knit until it looked long enough, then decreased by knit 11, k2tog one round, then knit one round. Every other alternative round I knit one less in the decrease round. When there was only 9 stitches left I cut the yarn, ran it through the loops and pulled tight. Hope it works for you!