Sunday, October 21, 2007

Blogstalking: Johnny-Come-Lately Statues

I have a good reason why my blogstalking post is late this week - I had to scan all of these pictures because there is not a single one that is younger than 10 years old! And I am going to apologize in advance for the small pics - I am really not sure what happened because I don't remember clicking on 'so small you can barely see it' when I was scanning them.

The first few statues here are all gravestones from Ross Bay Cemetary in Victoria, British Columbia. I graduated from the University of Victoria, and during one of my years there I lived a few blocks from this cemetary and I used to love walking through it. It is an old cemetary and there are many beautiful statues there.

Ross Bay Cemetary Angel

Ross Bay Cemetary Girl

Ross Bay Cemetary Angel 2

Flash forward a few years and I was living in Japan. I met this cute young guy and he asked me out to a movie (we saw 'The Truth About Cats and Dogs')... and who should we see in Tokyo? Godzilla! He must have ben taking a break from destroying the city.

Godzilla

Later that same year my friend Asami and I went to Bali for our Christmas vacation (leaving our boyfriends behind!) and this Balinese dragon flanked the swimming pool at our hotel:

Balinese Dragon

Incidentally, I was married in that same skirt 9 months later...

11 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love all the statues...but especially the ones from the cemetary. Bravo to you for scanning in all the pictures too. I was thinking of that for this, but as I'm still behind we'll see :)

cpurl17 said...

Looks like you have a lucky skirt!

Those are some cool statues you've stood next to!

Shan said...

Hey I lived near you...Richardson St at Cook.

Jo said...

cpurl - ah well, like I said, it has been 10 years and that skirt has long worn out ;) I wish I had thought to keep a piece of it, however.

Shan - I lived on Lawndale which was a couple of blocks behind the Thrifty store.

Erin said...

I just love old cemeteries. There's something peaceful about walking through them.

woolcat said...

Fantastic statues - I have to go to Victoria to see that cemetery!

Ed said...

Just a tad on the creepy side to enjoy walking thru' a cemetary.

Bezzie said...

Wow. Godzilla was a lot smaller in person wasn't he? ;-)

kemtee said...

Cool shots. They've got Mr. Peanut beat hands down.

Batty said...

Wow, you sure get around! Beautiful pictures of statues. I love cemetries and dragons!

Holly said...

Very cool statues. Love that dragon!