Sunday, November 03, 2013

Book Review: Hyperbole and a Half

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That HappenedHyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is not the type of book that I normally read, but having read Bosh's blog before and especially having enjoyed her posts on depression, I picked up the book when I saw it in B&N. I am so glad I did. Well, first I had to pry the book out of my husband's hands - I made the mistake of telling him about the blog as we left the store, and since I was driving, he was able to start reading it while I drove home. I have not had such a visceral reaction to a book in such a long time - within a a few minutes of opening the book, I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face, and I was afraid I was going to wake up my kids. Bosh's posts run the gamut from silly and irreverent to stark and heart-breaking, and so many times I found myself wondering, "How does she know what I am thinking?!!?" I especially enjoyed the segments concerning Bosh's letters to herself as a child, and the parts about her dogs. I wholeheartedly recommend this book - especially to those of us who spend too much time in our heads and let it get the better of us.

View all my reviews

No comments: