Friday, November 08, 2013

Dream Jobs

IMG_0510

 Don't get me wrong, I love my job. So much so that it was nearing 5pm on a Friday night and I found myself wishing I could stay and continue working on a project because I was getting to an interesting part where I had to think up some recommendations and potential outcomes for a situation, and I love doing that. But I started to think about what I would like to do if I wasn't in my job, and I came up with these things:

1) Book Editor 
I read many, many books - if you look on my sidebar, I am within 5 books of my goal of 120 books for the year, and there are still six weeks to go in 2013. I also have a degree in Linguistics, and my study of Linguistics was heavy in grammar and semantics. This is a good thing and a bad thing - good because it makes me great at my job (writing and interpreting contracts and rules), but also bad because I notice every little mistake and it can really detract from my enjoyment of books. I have actually put books down and not finished them because of *how* they are written, which is too bad because sometimes the stories are promising.

2) Auditor
I love digging stuff up and finding out the whys and hows of things.  Luckily, this is part of my job as well, but not something I get to do as often as I would like.  I have also had the opportunity to do developmental assignments with the Audit Group at my company, and I have always enjoyed those audits.  Unfortunately for me, most auditors I know come from an accounting background - which, while understandable on one hand because many audits are financial audits - but on the other hand, that isn't the only kind of audit there is, and some of the other audits I have been involved with have required more investigative skills and soft people skills to get to the bottom of things.

3) Attorney
I add this one with the knowledge that this will never happen and I am A-OK with that.  I saw Andrew through law school when we were first married, and it isn't something that I am interested in repeating.  However, I do find law immensely interesting, especially in the government area that is my specialty.  I know have friends with opinions on both sides of Health Care Reform, but this legislation has made my job so much more interesting in the last few years.  I love grappling with this and parsing out what works and doesn't work, and getting to discuss this with other experts in the field.

There you go - and I am interested to hear from my friends.  What would your dream jobs be and why?

No comments: