Monday, July 20, 2009

That Child Better Love Me Come Sunday

First round of 24 mini-cupcakes baked and iced tonight...

Why?



This is what Willow wants for her birthday instead of a birthday cake. It's a fun idea - but requires lots of prep work.

I told her I would make 3 different kinds of cupcakes, so chose a Funfetti mix, a dark chocolate fudge mix, and a red velvet mix (I'm no dummy - plus the cake mixes were on sale for $1.50 - $2.00 each). I also bought a brownie mix and caramel marshmallows for the spacers. What this means, however, is that each night this week I need to bake another level of the kebabs. Tonight it was the Funfetti cupcakes with lemon icing. The neat thing is that after I filled my 24 cupcake spaces on my pan, I still had enough batter left over for my 8" square pan. I baked it and when cool I am going to wrap it up and freeze it. One of these days we are going to have a three-layer Leftover Birthday Cake Surprise Cake.

Oh, and incidentally, since it doesn't say on the package, mini-cupcakes take about 12 minutes to bake.

6 comments:

Kaye said...

Holy cow, how much are your cake mixes when they're NOT on sale? This is a cool idea--where did she get it? I'm glad I watched this AFTER Chunky went to bed--LOL!

Jo said...

www.seriouseats.com

Enough said - go read now.

turtlegirl76 said...

Is this the post you were asking about? Everything looks fine!

Zonda said...

Yikes! Don't envy you the prep work, but they are cool!! Great Mom!

Trillian42 said...

Jo - I didn't know you were a Serious Eats fan! I love that site!

And those kebabs are adorable. I can't wait to see pictures.

kemtee said...

Girlfriend, you're either the best mom in the world or friggin' crazy.

But then, I'm still harboring a secret desire to make Bakerella's burger-n-fries cupcakes.