Tuesday, July 21, 2009

That Snazzy Continental Girl

When I was in junior high I had a love for berets, worn jauntily on my head. In fact, if I was so inclined to show you (and I am not), I am wearing a mint green beret in my ninth grade school picture. I may or may not have been wearing a green leather tie as well. Don't judge me - it was the 80's.

I have a few projects on the needles right now - Tara's armwarmers, my pickle socks, and my vest for Stitches East, and for some odd reason, they are all green and involve miles of 2X2 ribbing. I needed an escape. I bought this yarn at my LYS, Stitches With Style, with the express intent of making a hat.

Snazzy, non?

Willow's beret D

I've never knit a beret before, and I am really pleased with how this turned out. The construction confused me to begin with (increases upon increases), but the pattern was very easy to follow.

Willow's beret E

I love the swirl and the fact that there wasn't any obvious pooling, despite the fact that the number of stitches changed every round.

Willow's beret B

Now only if it wasn't the middle of July so she would wear it!

The Particulars:

Pattern: Max's Staircase Tam (rav link)
Yarn: Colinette Cadenza in 'Gaugin'
Needles: Size 5 circular for ribbing, size 7 for the rest of the hat
Time to knit: 3 days

I deliberately sized down the pattern in yarn and needles - the pattern called for worsted weight and sizes 6 and 8 needles, but that was intended for an adult. The instructions say to wet the finished beret and dry over a dinner plate to shape, but my salad plate worked just fine for the 7-year old's head.

Bravo pour la mère qui tricote!

7 comments:

Zonda said...

C'est magnific (hehe or something like that!) Too cute!

Beverly said...

I love that spiral! I have a couple of berets in my queue. Now, if I could just get the gift knitting out of the way...

turtlegirl76 said...

Cute! I love berets. They work so well with our curly hair. =)

Bezzie said...

Very cute!!! They are more jaunty than sombreros.

Teri said...

Ahhhhhhh...... I remember (you in the) 80's... thanks for the memory and the giggle :)

Love the yarn, BTW.

tara said...

Tres chic.
If you dont post that picture I will. It is a great picture!!
I may need a beret.

kemtee said...

Brava, indeed!

WV: "ioupufsc". I dunno what a "pufsc" is, but if I owe you one, let me know! ;-P