Friday, December 09, 2005

Wonderful and Miserable Things

First, the wonderful thing... Last night Andrew and I went to a sneak preview of 'Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.' I must admit that I had never thoroughly read the book - I got as far as Aslan's sacrifice and cried so hard I couldn't pick the book up again. I cried in the movie as well - in some parts I hadn't expected to. My maternal grandmother was one of these children who were sent out of London during the bombings of WWII and the scene at the beginning of the movie when all the mothers are tagging their children and putting them on trains to go far away to Lord knows who just tore at my heart. This scene affects me as a mother in a way I simply could not fathom as a child reading the book for the first time. I digress... But the movie was wonderful - the child actors were a bit stilted, but then again, so were the Harry Potter cast in their first go-around. Anything had to be better than the BBC production I remember as a child...

And now for miserable things... snow and slush and freezing rain. Everything looked so pretty this morning when I woke up - all crystallized and white and quiet. I love the quiet when it is snowing out. However, when I had suited up and trudged out to the car to get Andrew's boots (which were conveniently in the trunk of the car...) I found that the snow had changed to horrible freezing rain. Bah humbug!

No comments: