Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pre-Superbowl Purchases and Pissy Things

I don't watch football. And frankly, after getting disgusting things thrown at me from cars when we lived in Boulder because I was inadverantly and unknowingly wearing Nebraska's colours during game weekend, I don't *care* about football. However, I am willing to make allowances. I went up to my LYS this afternoon to get a 16 inch size 7 circular, and apparently they were having a Pre-Superbowl Sale... and I came home with these two bundles.

8 Skeins Plymouth Oh My - a very soft bouclé in a forest/army green colour:



7 Skeins NY Yarns Gypsy - I did make sure that all of these had the same dye lot number, but there seems to be a lot of variation in the colours - mostly red with a little pink, a little mauve, and a little orange:



I have about 650 yards of each yarn, and right now I am planning sleeveless hoodies out of both for Willow. As for prices, let's just say that both were about 60% off their regular prices :)

Bezzie had a meme with a twist on her blog today and I really think I can sink my teeth into this one~

Sixth Things That Piss Me Off

1) School Offices that won't let me enroll my daughter in full-day kindergarten because our settlement day for our new house is the same day as the kindergarten lottery.

Piggy-backed onto that...

2) The fact that most of the schools in our area have only one full-day kindergarten classroom and that parents have to jockey into position to get their child into it!

3) This disgusting salt that is all over the roads and cars here. We've had a scant one inch of snow in the last 4 weeks and there is so much salt on the ground that you would have thought we were coming out of the grips of a blizzard.

4) That I don't have enough hours in the day to read all the books I want, knit all the patterns I want, play with Willow, keep a clean house, cook nutritious meals, exercise, be a good wife (and trust me, that is the role that suffers), and be a breadwinner... and get maybe 6 hours of sleep in a night. I am always tired.

5) That the older I get the bushier my hair seems to be. Styling products be damned, it seems I always have frizzy hair now.

6) Finding a really cool book in a bookstore, only to discover that the book is the second in a series and the first book is out-of-print.

4 comments:

Batty said...

I so hear you on 4 and 6! 6 in particular makes me mad on account of my OCD tendencies and the absolute need to own the full set.
And if you buy book 2 first and special order book 1, it takes way too long for 1 to come in.

OK, I feel better now.

Great yarn haul! I don't watch football either, but if there are going to be yarn sales, it can be football season all the time!

Bezzie said...

I have to laugh at your Boulder story--what's with Coloradoans being so into football? I was living in Greeley the year the Broncos won the Superbowl and the town rioted and they nearly blew up the block I lived on (they broke a propane line...)

Your 1 and 2 I have the feeling I will shortly be sharing your pain! Ugh! And I totally feel you on #4!! But I've come to the conclusion SAHMs aren't having a picnic either. So we're damned if we do damned if we don't.

Great rants and great yarn (I'm digging that Gypsy yarn in particular!)

PURLPOWER said...

have you tried the 'curly girl' method? It's helped my frizzy hair a lot. I don't use shampoo anymore, just conditioner. I heard about it through the knittyboards, I think there might even be a thread devoted to curly hair if you do a search!

ZantiMissKnit said...

I hate football too! I held a meltdown in high school over the superbowl once, after the 200th person asked me about it, I started flipping out and had to go home.

I love the yarn haul. My husband is obsessed with Oh My! He wants me to make him hats out of it.