Wednesday, June 20, 2007

WiP it Wednesday

May I present a maybe quarter way finished cable sweater for my husband?



This one has been in the basket since about October 2006 when I picked up my Dad's hemp-wool socks. I put down the sweater because there was no way on earth I would finish this before Christmas and Andrew saw me knitting it nearly every week anyway so it wouldn't even be a surprise. I am just about at the place where I need to start shaping for the underarms. There is about 17" here so far - Andrew is a very long-bodied individual so I even added a bit onto what the pattern called for.

The particulars:

Yarn: Plymouth Encore in Charcoal
Needles: 24" size 7 Addi Turbos
Pattern: from a Family Circle Knitting magazine from the early 90s - but I think the pattern is pretty classic.

One of the reasons I haven't picked the project up again is that I am a bit worried that I may not have enough of this colourway to finish the sweater. I bought 10 skeins (I believe that is 2200 yards altogether) before I had even chosen a pattern. I know I have complained about this before - but really, if worse comes to worse, I might just have to get a bit creative with the sleeves.

6 comments:

Zonda said...

Darn, I'm hoping you have enough yarn to finish!

LadyLungDoc said...

Maybe get some contrast yarn for the cuffs and collar? It won't be much, but every little bit helps.

Bezzie said...

See, I'm "lucky" enough to be married to a man that's clueless enough not to realize that what I was knitting might be for him.
I like LLDoc's suggestion--maybe a contrasting color for the edges?

Batty said...

Now it's going to be a surprise all right!

I'm also married to an Andrew and his sweater is languishing in my yarn closet... do we detect a pattern?

Tami said...

Hi Jo,

The sweater is looking good. I love cables, just can't get enough of them.

You had asked on my blog why I think the two alpacas stay together like I discribed. Every alpaca has their own personality just like how dogs do. They tend to make friends and group with the ones they like. Also they can have strong dislikes for certain other alpacas. Just like people. Plus their is a pecking order with a leader. Since the two were new to our farm they were at the bottom of the totem pole and decided to stick together. They are so sweet to watch they even will eat out of the same bowl.

Take Care

Erin said...

I'm no expert, but I think over 2000 yards will probably be enough!