Saturday, November 17, 2007

Good Friends, Good Food, Good Times

My tummy is so full! We just returned from a birthday dinner - one shared by me and my friend Asami's son. Mind you, we are 33 years apart, but what does that matter? We met at a local Japanese restaurant where we had reserved a private tatami room - and I think that was the smartest thing we could have done. Between the 2 year old and the 5 year old, had we been in the restaurant proper something would have got knocked over and we would have annoyed the hell out of the other patrons.

What did we have? Collectively, shrimp and vegetable tempura, sushi rice, hibachi steaks, shrimp and halibut, yakitori, soba, miso soup, gyoza, dragon rolls, and assorted sushi. I didn't get to try the dragon roll myself, but it's on my list for next time. It is shrimp tempura wrapped in sushi rice and nori, and then thin slices of avocado are overlapped on top to resemble dragon scales.

Natsukashi!

5 comments:

Eryn said...

That sounds so delicious! I love love love Japanese, but I don't get to indulge very often.

Maybe during the holiday weekend I can convince the Hairy One that he needs to take me out. After all, I'm now cooking for fifteen people!

cpurl17 said...

Sounds totemo oishii!!

Bezzie said...

That's a cool way to serve it--dragon style!

Ginny said...

I'm reading this early on a Sunday morning... and your making me hungry for sushi! I love it!

tara said...

Super yum! I've always wondered if American Japanese restaurants are anything like actual Japanese food? And what is American food like in Japan?