Monday, June 15, 2009

Sharkgirl and Tandem Cycling

Yeah... puzzle that one out.

Look in Willow's mouth:

Sharkgirl

Look closer:

Sharkgirl close up

Now is the title starting to make sense? My child has two rows of teeth - the dentist assures me that it isn't permanent. She will be seven soon, and I know my friends who have children around the same age have lost teeth already, but Willow is being as stubborn as her mother was about this. I don't think I lost my first tooth until second grade. I remember my teachers having a list on the board of everyone who had lost teeth and how many teeth and my name was never up there. In fact, I was still losing teeth in junior high school - I am missing my canine teeth in my eighth grade school picture.

Um, yeah - enough of my issues...

The dentist says not even to worry about the two new teeth being placed behind - that as soon as the old teeth come out her tongue will push the new teeth into place. It just looks odd for now. Mom and Dad, I am sure I will be bringing a gap-toothed beauty with me this summer. Her two lower teeth and upper teeth are all quite loose and I have a sneaky suspicion she is going to loose them all at the same time.

So, where does the tandem cycling fit in? Andrew and I love cycling - it is something we used to to all the time when we lived in Boulder, Colorado. When we lived in Japan we didn't drive, so it was bicycles and trains everywhere as well. We have been trying to get Willow to ride her bike without training wheels with limited success (she is okay as long as she hasn't figured out you have let go of the bike and she is on her own...) We had seen people here in town riding these tandem bicycles for adults and children, and found out the child's part is just an attachment to the adult's bike:

tandem cycling

It is so much fun! Willow was quite apprehensive the first time. "Daddy, slow down, Daddy, not so fast!" By the time they had gone around the block once it had become, "Daddy, again! Let's go again! I like speed bumps!" The bike does have limitations - you have to be careful with turns (similar to how a limo makes wide turns because of the length) but we are very happy with it. Not only do we all get to cycle together, but we have peace of mind that she is actually with us and not weaving away into traffic. We have a bike hitch for the car, and we are trying to find a local place to take a trip to go cycling for the day. I know there are bike paths down in Rehoboth Beach and up in Gettysburg - does anyone have any other neat ideas?

11 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

How fun does THAT look? I'm a bit envious of Willow, er, I mean "Sharky". I would have loved to ride bikes like that when i was a kid!

kemtee said...

If it makes you feel any better, HSH has the same thing going on tooth-wise. Her second lower front tooth fell out today, and although I smell orthodontia, I'm thinking that as soon as her jaw grows it'll push itself into place. At least, that's my hope.

I want a place to ride bikes without fear of getting flattened….

Bezzie said...

Yup. Chunky had the same thing happen to him. Freaked me the hell out. And then like a week or so later, his baby tooth fell out.

Batty said...

It's quite frequent, I had that too. And the tandem thing looks like fun! You wouldn't want to share with a klutz like me, but it looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

My favorite ride is the boardwalk at 6 AM.. or Cape May.. also, Boathouse Row in Philly is pretty cool early in the morning too..

I used to love Parvin State Park in S. NJ but I believe they closed that. Still not interested... GOOGLE IT!!

mom said...

I had 2 sets of teeth and so did your sister.....
love & hugs

Teri said...

Your kid is weird (like the rest of our family....)

Suzanne said...

Kelly Drive in Philly on a Sunday is a very safe place to ride.

Karen said...

No two rows of teeth here, but Dan didn't lose his first tooth til late. I don't know when I lost my first tooth, but either it was late or losing them was spaced out because I lost my last molar in high school. Yeah, that's not embarrassing AT ALL!! :) Don't worry about it.

The bike looks really fun. I wonder if they can be rented somewhere near me.... hmmm. Off to google.

Beverly said...

Oooo, oooo, I wanna ride! What a cool bike!

Zonda said...

Oh wild!! Love Willow's new ride :) And the teeth thing...yep, must be that particular tooth area, I know my daughter had it too.