Sunday, September 13, 2009

And *This* One Is Definitely Not For My Mom

Don't look Ma!

Okay, don't say I didn't warn you...

Guess where we spent the day?

P9130236

We went to the Kennett Square Mushroom Festival with our friends Gara, Keiko, Ray, and Ty. We have lived here for 8 years now, and not once have we gone to this festival - and it is only about 20 minutes away from our house! Kennett Square is the mushroom capital of the United States - and being a mushroom lover, I knew I was in for a treat.

We arrived early (when there was still place to walk in the streets!), and were able to see some neat vendors for both foods and arts and crafts. We picked up the requisite kettle corn (which unfortunately, was only so-so), and then found one of Willow's favourite things to do - pan for rocks and jewels:

P9130238

I love doing this as well - look at that big hunk of crystal in the middle! Willow and I are big fans of rock-hunting and beachcombing - we're trying to find a place to go on vacation where we can do this sort of stuff.

I had a steak and mushroom sandwich that had four different kinds of mushrooms in it from the Brown Derby restaurant (very yummy!). Andrew had a huge broiled portabello mushroom cap topped with crab and cheese. Willow had...um... a hot dog.

P9130239

The festival was getting very crowded by this time - it had rained the first day of the festival so I think everyone came out in droves on Sunday when the weather was nice. We stopped by the La Michoacana Homemade Ice Cream stall to have fruit bars - here is Ray and Willow enjoying theirs:

P9130240

Gara had corn ice cream that he sprinkled with cinnamon. I was a little suspicious at first, but it was very tasty. I think I will definitely have to try that the next time we are in Kennett Square.

By the time we had to catch the bus back to Exelon (where the festival parking was), we were pooped out. Well, the adults at least. Willow and Ray were running around like maniacs until we told them (okay, yelled at them) that they had to stay in one place while we waited for the bus.

P9130245

Yes, my child's legs are nine miles long...

We had a great day. It was warmer and sunnier that I was expecting and I felt quite over-done by the time we got home. I love local festivals like this - you get to see some creative vendors, eat some delicious and different food, and walk around a great little town.

4 comments:

Trillian42 said...

I take it your mom feels the same way about mushrooms that I do? :)

Looks like you had a great day, and I'm thinking you need to strap some bricks to that girl's head, or she'll be taller than you in another year!

Jo said...

Oh yes - she doesn't even call them mushrooms - to her they are just 'fungus!'

mom said...

and I don't eat fungi!!!!

Zonda said...

What a nice day!! I love mushrooms, that sandwich is making me drool!