Saturday, November 28, 2009

And Onto the Christmas Cookie Baking!

Andrew, Willow, and I headed out to Asami's house today to get started on some Christmas baking and to celebrate her oldest son's 4th birthday. I made all my dough yesterday - I favour slice and bake dough for Christmas cookies because you don't have to do it all at once.

From left - right: Cherry Sugar Cookies, Apricot Cornmeal Sugar Cookies, and Brown Sugar Striped Christmas Cookies:

PB280157

Close Up of the Cherry Sugar Cookies and Apricot Cornmeal Sugar Cookies:

PB280158

The apricot cookies were a new one for me, and I changed the recipe I based it on by using almond extract rather than vanilla, and putting a 1/4c of almond meal into the dough. It made for a very fragrant and chewy cookie.

Close up of the Brown Sugar Slice and Bake Cookies:

PB280159

I think I went a bit overboard with the food colouring on these ones. I used my Wilton's icing dye as that was what I had on hand, but the recipe doesn't specify how much to use. Last night Andrew and Willow ate the little bits I had cut off the ends when I made the layered cookie log (I baked the the ends to get an idea of what they would taste like) - cut to Willow brushing her teeth: "Mom! My tongue is blue!" Now, I had only eaten one small bit and my tongue wasn't all that discoloured. "Andrew! Come here!" He comes upstairs and I demanded he show me his tongue (which I am sure confused the hell out of him). His tongue was bright royal blue! I laughed and told him to go look at himself in the mirror. Don't ask me how - but Christmas red and kelly green dye somehow became royal blue on the tongue.

Ray had the coolest, most icing-laden cake I have seen in a long time - behold - the Dinosaur cake:

PB280156

Despite a few knocked-together heads and disagreements over who got to play with the ball, a great time was had by all - and I didn't even have time to bake my last batch of cookies. The Ginger Molasses Crinkle Cookies will just have to wait until tomorrow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE DA GINGER COOKIES....AH MUMMMAHMUMMM Cookie Monster

Teri said...

I'm speechless with the Dino Cake.... Wow just doesn't cut it. Was there actually any cake at all??!!

Bezzie said...

Mmmm...those apricot ones look delish!

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

That's a kickass cake!!

Batty said...

Yum, cookies!

And that cake is awesome. I'm one of those people who take other people's discarded icing and add it to their own cakes. So... that looks really yummy.