Thursday, February 11, 2010

Reason #242 Why I Love My Husband

#242: Even though he is pathologically afraid of heights, he got up on our sunroom roof this afternoon and shovelled about 1000 cubic feet of snow off the sunroom:

P2110439

I saw Pam's Post about Kris having to shovel off their sunroom roof, and I started thinking... our sunroom doesn't have a flat roof, but it is pretty damn close - only maybe a 15 - 20 degree slope, and seeing as it is on the dark side of the house, that snow wasn't going to melt anytime soon.

P2110440

And then I started seeing news stories about roofs collapsing - one of the Smithsonian warehouses, a shop down in Rehoboth, a firehall in Townsend, DE, a drugstore not far from us. The #delsnow twitter page kept posting warnings for people with flat roofs as well.

P2110441

I told Andrew I would go out and do it - hell, I am only 5 feet tall on a good day with thick socks, so at the very least it would be easier for me to crawl through the bathroom window. Andrew, my very afraid of heights husband, wouldn't hear of it. "If I let you do this and you hurt yourself, I would never forgive myself. Worse yet, my father would never forgive me."

P2110442

By Pam's math, 1 cubic foot of snow equals 20 pounds - so 2 feet deep X 20 feet wide X 25 long = 1000 cubic feet X 20 pounds = 20,000 pounds of snow. Boy, am I ever glad that is off the sunroom roof - that is my favourite room in this house!

This is a picture toward the end of the snowfall Wednesday night - you can see that our firepit is nearly completely covered.

P2100435

Our neighbour's tree across the street - I was really expecting limbs to come down with this one:
P2100431

Another tree in our neighbourhood that did have broken limbs:
P2100432

Governor Markell lifted the travel ban about 3pm this afternoon, and I had to get out of the house.  The roads aren't in bad condition right now, but I think the most treacherous part out there right now is the immense mountains of snow piled up on the corners.  Forget about making a right turn on red right now - you will have absolutely no clue if something is coming down the road.  I also saw plenty of downed trees while driving around today.  DelDOT had trimmed the trees to the road so as not to impede drivers, but these property owners are going to have plenty to clean up once all this snow thaws.

3 comments:

kingshearte said...

Be very careful while out walking -- and driving. To this day, I am amazed that no one (that I heard of) was hit as a result of the utter lack of visibility caused by the 10-or-so-foot snowbanks we got in Halifax one year.

Glad you got your roof cleared off before it considered doing something unfortunate.

turtlegirl76 said...

What a great husband you have!

Unknown said...

Aww, your husband is so sweet! It’s a good thing your roof was efficiently installed for it to withstand such thick snow. It is winter time again; how is your roof holding up? If your husband plans on doing his heroic deed again, I wish for him to be very careful. Stay safe during this season!

Penelope Dingee