Sunday, May 06, 2012

Tomatoes-to-be

No pictures yet - no point because the plants all are little 6 inch indistinguishable green things right now, but I've planted my tomato plants outside in their containers. 

Our attempts at backyard gardening has been not terribly encouraging - a combination of one neighbour who grows 20 foot bamboo, another who has thorny, creeping roses and morning glory planted along our back fence, and a third who expanded their house and overshadowed part of the remaining sunny spots in our yard.  Oh, don't get me wrong - we have no problems with our bamboo neighbour or house-expansion neighbour - but the morning glory/creeping roses neighbour irks me.  They didn't plant those until we tried growing a vegetable garden at the back of our property.  Now we spend much of our gardening time hacking back these two invasive vines - and add to that the wild geranium that is killing our grass... you get the picture.

Anyway, the only things I have any success at growing are little tomatoes, chives, and basil.  I've tried different types of squash and they die on the vine, cucumbers and they rot, bell peppers that the squirrels pick and eat before I even get a chance to!  My mother-in-law bought me a set of cherry and grapes tomatoes from Burpee's - five different plants, a mixture of red and orange.  And then yesterday I purchased a orange cherry tomato plant called 'Suncherry' at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.  They are all in the pots now, and I have great plans for tomato salads in the summer.

No comments: