Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sunny Day in Philadelphia

This weekend was the last weekend for the Narnia exhibit at the Franklin Institute, so we woke up early and headed out to Philadelphia. I would have loved to take pictures of the exhibit - there was knitwear, even! They had many original costumes on display, including the Ice Queen's gown and the sweaters the children were wearing. I have to admit that I teared up in the beginning of the exhibit, because they had a real-life historical section about the children who were sent out of London during the Blitz. Do you know they managed to move over a million children out of London in just three days? My grandmother and her older sister were two of these children, and this really hit home.

After seeing this exhibit, checking out the Amazing Machines exhibit (I think maybe I had more fun than Willow here) and then an IMAX movie called Grand Canyon Adventure about the Grand Canyon and water conservation, we headed out into the city to find something to eat and walk around.

I was entranced by the Swann Fountain in the middle of Logan Square - I had never seen it up close before and it was beautiful.

DSCN0097

The four figures are supposed to be Native American river god representations of the three main rivers in the area, and I have to say, they are rather comely:

Logan Square Fountain C

Wissahickon Girl's backside

Logan Square Fountain B

and her front!

Here's a picture of me and Willow:

Jo and Willow at Logan Square Fountain

And a self-portrait of me:

Self portait

Who says I never give you anything?!!?

6 comments:

Bezzie said...

Hee hee, I like the way it looks like the water is shooting out of your head in the Willow & You picture!

tara said...

Super awesome self portrait. You still got it girl.

mom said...

Isn't Willow getting tall!!
Love & Hugs

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Looks like a gorgeous day!! And you two look too cute!!

turtlegirl76 said...

Did you cut your hair? I love the length with your curls! It's perfect!

Shan said...

Nice self-portrait.

Narnia exhibit sounds great - too bad there's no info on it at the site anymore. I shall Google.

Didn't know they moved that many children at all, never mind in three days.