Saturday, September 04, 2010

Finished Object: Baby Brick Band Hat

I have a lot of knitting magazines. Four or five years' worth of subscriptions - Interweave Knits, Knit Simple, Creative Knitting - the odd Vogue Knitting, although I can't say VK does that much for me.

Anyway, I can't say I have made a whole lot from these magazines - in fact - in the 8 years I have been knitting, I have probably only made enough projects from these magazines to count on both hands. I had some baby hats to make for a swap on Ravelry, so I dug through a few of my knitting magazines, and came up with this:

Brick Band Hat D

I had to modify the pattern a bit - it wasn't intended for a baby, although the pattern did have small, medium, and large sizes.

Brick Band Hat B

I didn't use the yarn or needles called for, either. I'm such a rebel.

Brick Band Hat C

I could have probably finished this entire hat in one night, but it got broken up into a few different knitting sessions because I am reading a good book right now (Changeless by Gail Carriger) and have been reading more than knitting lately.

Brick Band Hat A

The Particulars:

Pattern: #22 Brick Band Hat from Knit Simple Holiday 2007
Yarn: SWTC Karaoke in colourway 298 (rainbow). The pattern called for Universal Yarns' Deluxe Chunky
Needles: Size 6 Knitpicks 16" circular and bamboo dpns (pattern called for size 8)
Modifications: Other than using a thinner yarn and going down 2 needle sizes, I did one less repeat of the brick band pattern to make the hat a bit shorter, and did not include the tassel on top. The tassel is cute, but I don't think the almost-roving nature of this yarn would have served a tassel well.

I'll definitely make this pattern again - I like the flat top and design on the sides. It was very easy, and I loved the way this particular yarn served up stripes on the different sections all on its own.

2 comments:

kingshearte said...

That's a great hat. Super cute. I might have to chase that pattern down myself.

Unknown said...

I am really impressed with your creative ability. I stopped doing a lot of tedious tasks because it makes my carple tunnel worse.