Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Love Autumn

The temperature dropped a good 20 degrees today from yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. I know I am going to be awkward and ungainly for the next few months, but at least I can do it in relatively cool comfort. We headed to Linvilla Orchards this morning to get a pie for my father-in-law (who had requested a pecan pie), pick up some more apples and apple cider, and nosh on some apple cider donuts.

I was surprised to see that their Pumpkinland store was open - we were last at Linvilla about 3 months ago, and I don't remember the construction being terribly far along at that point. I think it is great that they have a different space for all the kitschy and seasonal decorations and items, because it leaves more space in the market for food! We weren't ready to pick up a pumpkin yet, but we did go in and have a look at all the different kinds of pumpkins available.

Assorted Pumpkins

Bumpy pumpkins

Peanut Pumpkins

Peanut Pumpkins

Turk Turban pumpkins

Turk Turban Pumpkins

P9260825

Pumpkins with massive stems - that is Andrew's hand there, not mine - for scale, this is the difference:

P9260826

I'm thinking there must be a dirty joke in there somewhere with those stems, but I can't figure out what it is! It's odd, too - so many pumpkins had super thick stems like that - it must mean something about this year's growing season.

Inside the Pumpkinland store they had an antique buggy that Willow just fell in love with:

P9260822

P9260823 P9260824

These two little pillows were on it, but I don't think they were antiques - but looked cute nonetheless.

And the last shot - well, Willow had to feed all the chickens at the farm - they allow you to purchase corn from dispensers to feed them - really makes me wonder why these chickens aren't fatter than they are already - but I saw this funny scene of some chickens roosting in this little bush that couldn't be more than 20 inches tall:

P9260821

Sometimes it's just the little things...

4 comments:

Kaye said...

Those chickens crack me up! Now I have that Sesame Street "There are chickens in the trees" song stuck in my head!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the pictures. I have never seen some of the varieties of pumpkins you saw. Very interesting.
Odie

Discoknits said...

Wow, those are some truly knobbly pumpkins!!! Beautiful :0)

kemtee said...

So… is it time for punkin' chunkin' yet? :-D