Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

My mother-in-law is making Thanksgiving dinner, but I offered to bring the pies for dessert. There will only be five of us, so I didn't need to make multiple pies - so I decided on two - an apple pie (because I am getting really good at making apple pies!) and a pecan pie as it is my father-in-law's favourite pie.

One problem, though - I've never made a pecan pie before. I looked on Tastespotting which really has become my go-to website whenever I want to find a recipe, searched for 'pecan pie,' and found this blog: Sugar and Spice by Celeste (her recipe is at that link). It seemed simple enough, and oddly enough, I had all the ingredients except for the pecans. Can one make an almond pie? I had a one pound bag of almonds in the pantry.

So, I whipped up my pie crust, let it chill, rolled it out for the pan, mixed my ingredients, let it bake for 70 minutes, and voila!

Pecan pie for Thanksgiving

It certainly looks like a pecan pie, doesn't it?

Pecan Pie Close Up A

The pie bounced back when I tapped the top like Celeste said it would, so I let it cool for 2 hours as per her instructions, and was happy that it solidified quite a bit in those two hours.

Pecan Pie Close Up B

I wish I had a smell-o-vision camera, because let me assure you, the pie smelled heavenly! Unfortunately, I had to put it away and keep it for our Thanksgiving meal. That, and put the cat in the basement because he was much too interested in the pie...

And just for giggles, I caught this view when I was trying to frame up the pie for the first shot - so now you know what *I* see when I look down!

Pecan Pie and belly

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you are able to spend the day with friends and loved ones, have a fabulous meal, and truly be gracious and thankful for all the blessings we have in life.

5 comments:

tara said...

Looks great. I heard those are hard to make.
Belly looks great too.

mom said...

I agree with Tara...on both statements...do we get one of those pies next time we come?
'dietice' sound almost like a real word

Unknown said...

Of course you were pulling our leg about the almonds. I grew up in the south and what I saw was pecans and it is one of my favorites too. Had a piece at our company lunch yesterday. For desert today we had what has to be one of the best things you can put in your mouth. A "Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake" from the recipes of Paula Deen. Take my word, it is awesome. Enjoy the rest of your day and I'll be back soon.
Odie

kemtee said...

Heh… great photos.

I found a recipe for toasted almond custard pie in my PIE cookbook. Let me know if you want it.

And Odie's right: Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake is fabulous. The Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake is even better.

Word Verification: "dippig." As in, "I was dippig my turkey into the gravy" I suppose. :-)

SuzannaBanana said...

Hope the pie was as tasty as it looked, because it looked wonderful.