Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Little Snow Makes Me Happy

When I was little, one of my best friends was a girl down the street named Lisa. Lisa and I were in the same grade, and her birthday was a few weeks after mine. I remember it would invariably rain on my birthday in mid-November, and then snow on her birthday in early December. I have a really clear memory of being at a sleepover birthday party at her house and we were watching the Sesame Street Christmas special (this was at the end of the 70s) and it was snowing on Sesame Street. All of a sudden Lisa's mom, Gail, points out that it was snowing outside their house. It all seemed so magical... and in truth, I was a little jealous because I always wanted it to snow on my birthday. My friends here don't understand this sometimes. They think that because I grew up in Canada that we must have had snow all the time. Not true, especially the Lower Mainland (Vancouver and the surrounding towns and cities) - we were more likely to have rain and sleet than anything else. In fact, I have experienced more snow in Delaware than I have anywhere else I have lived - and Andrew and I lived in Colorado for 3 years!

We had our first little bit of snow this morning - barely there flurries,  but it made me happy. My birthday isn't until tomorrow, but it is close enough for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jo;
Flutter of snow blessings for your birthday. 16, aren't you???
Love Auntie Daryth.